Orthopedic Surgery: Facts and Figures
As medicine has progressed over time, the extent of knowledge about the body and the technical skills required for successful treatment have resulted in the creation of many specialties. Modern surgery has not missed out. With so many different specializations of surgery, it is difficult to understand exactly what surgeon deals with what conditions.
The Raleigh Orthopedic Surgical Center is the largest outpatient orthopedic surgery center in the Triangle. But, what does that mean? Let us break it down to you!
What is orthopedic surgery?
Orthopedic surgery is related to musculoskeletal conditions and pain management. The surgeons work to prevent, diagnose and treat acute injuries, congenital and acquired disorders and chronic overuse conditions. This is applicable to bones, joints, ligaments, nerves, muscles and tendons.
At our Surgery Center, NC surgeons work as a team with physical therapists and other staff to ensure that the treatment you receive is of the best quality across different specializations.
According to the Royal College of Surgeons, the main procedures carried out by orthopedic surgeons include:
- Joint arthroscopy – a minimally invasive method of inserting probes into the joint to diagnose and repair damaged joint tissue.
- Fracture repair – treatment to ensure that the area of fracture is stable, and heals correctly, whilst allowing the patient to retain function.
- Arthroplasty – the replacement of whole joints, commonly hip and knee replacement.
- General repairs of damaged muscle, or tendon.
- Corrective surgery – correcting problems of anatomical alignment.
Interesting Facts and Figures
- At our Surgery Center in NC we perform over 4,000 outpatient orthopedic procedures annually.
- Raleigh Orthopedic Surgery Center is the FIRST AND ONLY outpatient surgery center in the Triangle to specialize exclusively in orthopedic surgery. It is also the largest and most modern facility in Eastern North Carolina.
- The most commonly performed procedures include:
- Hand, wrist, and elbow surgery: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Trigger Finger Release
- Shoulder Surgery: Frozen Shoulder, Rotator Cuff Injuries & Repair, Shoulder Replacement
- Hip Surgery
- Knee Surgery: Ligament Reconstruction of the Knee
- Foot and Ankle Surgery
- Pain Management Procedures
- Pediatric orthopedics require application of different treatments to accommodate children’s growing bones.
- The highest average number of procedures performed monthly is by orthopedic surgeons in the 40-49 age bracket. The number is 35 procedures per month. The average across all age brackets is 28.
- On average, full-time practicing orthopedic surgeons spend 86% of their time in a clinical practice. With 16% of full-time surgeons spending an unbelievable 100% of their time in clinical practice.
- In 2010, the number of physician visits for musculoskeletal-related symptoms and complaints was highest for problems with: knees (18,623,616), back (13,226,258), shoulder (11,487,643), lower back (8,024,189), and legs (7,853,011).
- In 2011, the highest number of hospital discharges for an orthopedic procedure was 645,062 for Total Knee Replacements.
About our Raleigh Orthopedic Surgical Center
At the Raleigh Orthopaedic Surgery Center, we have assembled a team that is not only experienced, but also hugely motivated and engaged in continuously expanding their education and taking training in orthopedics. Every patient receives personal attention and care.
Our professional staff are dedicated to making a difference in your experience with us. We care about the quality of services that we provide, which has resulted in our center receiving the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC) certificate. We welcome your high expectations because we can meet them!
If you have any further questions, or wish to schedule an appointment, do not hesitate to contact us, or check out our FAQs page! We are always happy to provide assistance and convenience for you, so you can choose how to contact us:
- Call our main phone: 919 719 3070
- Fax us at: 919 719 3088
- Use our Post-Op Hotline: 919 719 3079
- Drop us a visit at: 3001 Edwards Mill Road, Raleigh, NC 27612
We are open Monday to Friday from 6:00am to 6:00pm.
The material contained on this site is for informational purposes only and DOES NOT CONSTITUTE THE PROVIDING OF MEDICAL ADVICE, and is not intended to be a substitute for independent professional medical judgment, advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your health.